Monday 23 September 2013

How Did People React To My Hair?

As I mentioned before, I have always been natural, but I did go through my own form of ‘transition’. Whilst in school, I experimented with some very . . . interesting hairstyles. I used to wake up at 6:09am to get ready to do my hair when school was just over 10 minutes away. My hairstyles featured cementing some of my hair to my forehead with heavy duty gel, flat twisting one side and two little plaits at the back laden with hair bobbles – there were a lot of things going on. It is one of those ‘it looked nice at the time’ situations.

Once I got to university, things started to change. I started to wear weaves and pony tails. At first it started off very subtle, so it still looked like my hair (I think). I then started to get a bit more adventurous and went from 12 inches of hair right through to 18 inches.

I still like the versatility of weave, but I was neglecting my hair at the time and that is where the issue was. It was just strange how I went from being perfectly fine with my own hair to feeling kind of self conscious about it. I remember the first time I went out with my own hair again, people must have thought I was mad because I was constantly asking if it looked ok – sad, but true. My family and friends reacted very well to my natural hair, telling me I should have gone out with it sooner which was nice, but not every ‘review’ was positive. I got comments like “why are you going out with your hair like that?” or “did you forget to do your hair this morning?” I was shocked, but it did make me think about my initial reaction to my own hair when I went out post-weave.

Overall, it has been received quite positively - still trying to get used to random people trying to put their hands in my hair! Lol.

Hope that helped!


No comments:

Post a Comment