Thursday 5 September 2013

My Hair Care Routine



My routine is extremely simple because I don’t want it to take up too much time. I have a few very simple steps that I have been using for a while.

Wash Day: My wash day is either every Saturday or Sunday depending on what is going on and consists of four steps.

1: Deep Condition - I deep condition on dry hair as it helps to combine my pre-poo (a pre shampoo treatment for your hair to prepare it for shampooing) with my deep conditioning. I like to use Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner mixed with my hair butter, honey and extra virgin olive oil. This creates a lovely thick cream. I detangle my hair in sections and when I’m finished, I put my hair into two plaits. I then place a shower cap and a winter hat on my head – if I am feeling ambitious, I will do some skipping to create more heat, but this is rare! I let my hair sit for anything between 30 minutes and a few hours depending on what I am doing.

2: Rinse and Shampoo - I have a makeshift washing station in my shower which allows me to wash my hair standing outside of the shower cubicle without breaking my neck - always helpful. I clip one side up and rinse out the conditioner and then use my diluted shampoo (Shea Moisture, Moisture Retention Shampoo mixed with water) to wash that side. I then rinse out the shampoo and repeat on the other side.

3: Condition - I follow up the shampoo stage with a rinse out conditioner; the one I use at the moment is Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner. I leave this in my hair for 3-5 minutes and rinse it out with cold water (does anyone else feel like they can’t breathe properly when they pour cold water on their head?!) I then put a T-shirt on my head for about five minutes to ensure my hair is not dripping wet, but still very damp.

4: Leave in and seal - While my hair is damp, I put in my leave in conditioner (I use the Shea Moisture Conditioner as my rinse out and leave in) and seal it in with jojoba oil. I then lock all the good stuff in with my wonderful butter and those infamous doo doo plaits make an appearance. And that ladies and Gentlemen is my wash day regimen.

Daily Regimen

My daily regimen is also very simple – my speciality. I split my hair into four sections and work with one section at a time. I spray the section with water (mixed with aloe vera juice if I’m feeling fancy) and smooth it through my hair. I then put a moisturiser in (I use the Shea Moisture conditioner as my leave in and moisturiser) and seal with my hair butter. I plait up the sections and sleep with my satin head scarf. That means in the morning it is moisturised and it is ready and waiting for me to style it.

Hope that helped!

No comments:

Post a Comment