Thursday 7 November 2013

Take Your Hair to Work Day

I hear the question is natural hair professional? pop up a lot and I wanted to add my two cents =). I have to wake up at 5:30am to go to work (puke, I know) and I am just about awake enough to make myself look appropriate for outdoor viewing. Therefore, I have to keep my styles nice and simple. I currently do two braids at the front and put the rest into a low bun; this means I can do it the night before! My hair is neat and ready to go in the morning.

As to whether natural hair is professional, the short answer is yes! Natural hair is not a ‘hairstyle’ it is the hair that grows out of my head so why shouldn't I wear it to work? As for hairstyles, there are professional and non professional styles, but this applies to all hair, not just natural hair. Hair should be styled appropriately for the job and the situation. So you might not want go to work with your hair like this!



If you have never worn your natural hair to work, it may feel like a big step initially, but give yourself a 'Take Your Hair to Work Day" and see how you feel – you might surprise yourself.

4 comments:

  1. that's a nice title. natural hair is indeed professional, but I have to agree that wild afro styles may be distracting and so unprofessional. nevertheless, our hair is still professional!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I'm glad you like the title. This is true, it depends on the situation and the type of job you are in. Natural hair will always be professional because it is not a hair style, it is a type of hair. Thank you for stopping by!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blog Shenika!! Our mutual friend put me onto it yesterday and it's fantastic. Having been on a healthy hair journey with my relaxed hair since 2011, I finally bit the bullet and did a big chop in June. Loving my new natural hair!

    My default work do has been to wear braids while my hair grows to a more workable length. Haven't yet taken 'my natural hair to work'. Any professional styling suggestions for work?

    Keep up the good work. Your hair looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thank you! I'm glad you are enjoying it.

      For work I usually do a high bun, a low bun or braids/ flat twists at the front and a bun at the back. It just makes it easier to do in the morning. Anything neat and doesn't require too much manipulation works for me.

      Thank you for stopping by and keep in touch ♡

      Delete