Monday 25 November 2013

What I Learned From Burning Off My Hair

Some of you may recall from My Natural Hair  that due to inappropriate use of heat, I burnt off my hair – sad times. At university I started to wear weaves and these were straight weaves that needed to be blended with my natural hair. I therefore straightened my leave out consistently and I did this without the use of a heat protectant. I don’t know what I was thinking, I must have temporarily lost my mind or believed my hair was made of metal! Anyways, I burnt my hair on one side and then other when I switched the parting because obviously once was not enough for me. This prevented me from putting my hair into a bun because there were fuzz bits poking out from everywhere and this was not a good look =(

I knew I had to do something to get my hair back to normal and the only thing I could think of at the time was a full head weave to let my hair rest.
I HATED it! It didn’t feel like I was looking at myself in the mirror and so I had to take it out. My hair was still short, but I had to find a way to nurse it back to health without scaring myself when I look in the mirror. I knew I needed to stop touching it and checking to see if it had grown because it was making my hair unhappy.


I learnt that my hair was dry and needed intense moisture and protection from combing and brushing. I also learnt that I needed to be patient. My hair had had a shock and was sulking from me accidentally burning it off so it needed recovery time. It was not going to grow over night and I just needed to leave it and let it do it’s thing. Patience is key with regard to hair growth in general including growing back fuzzy burnt off bits of hair  - so keep it in mind. ♡

No comments:

Post a Comment